- Our Hospital
- Pet Medical Info Library
- Puppy Info
- Kitten Info
- Contact Us
- The Groom Shop
- Everything Else
- Ticks and Lyme Disease
The microchip procedure is simple. A tiny microchip (about the size of a grain of rice) is painlessly injected under the loose skin between your pet’s shoulder blades. Each microchip has a unique I.D. number to identify your pet for life. Important information on you and your pet is entered into a National Database.
Virtually all clinics and shelters across the country have scanners that are equipped to read these microchip I.D. numbers. In the event that a lost animal comes into an animal hospital or shelter, these animals are routinely scanned for these microchips. If one is found, a call is made to a toll free hotline that will identify the rightful owner and contact numbers.
The microchips are completely safe. They are made from bio-compatible material and have an anti-migratory design which keeps the chip in place. Once inserted in the pet, the microchip remains inactive until a hand held device known as a scanner or reader, is passed over the pet in proximity to the chip. The scanner generates an electromagnetic field which activates the microchip. The number is then transmitted back to the scanner.
· Is a safe, painless, and permanent method of pet identification
· Collars and tags are important - but they can fall off or be removed
· Information on your pet’s database may save its life i.e. medications, special
· Tattoos are often difficult to read, harder to trace, and painful to apply
· The service operates twenty four hours a day, three hundred and sixty five days a year,
in both official languages, getting lost pets home quickly and safely.
· Over one hundred and fifty thousand Canadian pets are microchipped and registered
· Microchipping is the solution for cats who do not wear or will not tolerate collars
· Last year over five thousand lost pets were returned home because they were identified
· In North America, thirty eight thousand family pets are euthanized every day simply
because they cannot be identified
Extra’s You Receive With Microchips:
It’s the difference between lost and found.